Hydrogeology & Environmental
At REC, we bring fresh thinking to hydrogeology challenges. Our hydrogeologists can be engaged across a range of sectors to develop, manage and protect groundwater resources. We work closely with clients to estimate a site’s surface and groundwater characteristics, providing water management options that prioritise efficiency throughout the lifecycle of the mine.
“Understanding and managing water flow on site is a collective effort. Our hands-on team takes a collaborative approach, sharing knowledge and insights with other specialist teams on site to optimise efficiency at every touch point.“
Our hydrogeology services include:
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
- Integrated field services
- Studying groundwater resource development and water supply
- Planning and implementing field programs
- Dewatering (both surface and underground)
- Numerical modelling
- Groundwater sampling, monitoring and modelling
- Hydraulic testing
- Monitoring groundwater
- Seepage analysis.
When required, our engineers can generate innovative tailings thickening solutions to increase water recovery and sustainability.
We are also passionate about managing the water quality of mine drainage. From establishing a new mining venture through to closure and remediation, our geochemists work to predict, analyse and minimise metal leaching and acid rock drainage. Our inquisitive nature, combined with cutting-edge technology, gives us the ability to forecast and enhance future water quality with relative confidence.
Managing the environmental components of a resource project is a significant challenge. Failure to adhere to the myriad of environmental requirements and regulations can lead to costly delays. At REC, we have the technical capabilities to take control of a site’s environmental challenges with industry-leading efficiency.
- Environmental Management Plans: Environmental management plans (EMPs) are vital for managing risk and obtaining stakeholder compliance. Our EMPs invite collaboration and efficiency through clear communication that empowers teams and individuals to take control of their particular role. Should it be required, we are able to supervise the implementation of the EMP to achieve full compliance.
- Water Quality Studies: Our in-depth understanding of the rules and regulations relating to water quality enables us to optimise all facets of project design. From water quality sampling and analysis to future modelling, we can advise upon a best practice approach that will optimise cost savings now and into the future.
- Environmental Auditing: Whether you are seeking to improve transparency or prove compliance, our specialist personnel can provide a detailed audit of your environmental and social programs. Our thorough audit process looks at key criteria including stakeholder engagement, environmental management and global and corporate standards. We can also act on your behalf to undertake audits of external projects that you may be considering investing in.
- Permits & Licenses: Our multi-disciplined engineering capabilities give us a solid understanding of the data required to efficiently obtain permits and licenses. We can advise which of the numerous permits you require and whether a full review process must be undertaken first.
- Reclamation: Minimising liabilities is a major factor in all closure and reclamation planning. At REC, reclamation is not an after-thought. We integrate closure and reclamation planning into the overall mine site development to maximise efficiency in the final stages. It is crucial that all reclamation planning takes into consideration the end land use while seeking to alleviate all risks.